Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Choosing

It's been a dramatically different beginning of the school year for us this year -I can write about it now that I'm (mostly) over the guilt and feelings of inadequacy brought on by the decision to send the kids to classroom school. Yes, my 1st and 4th graders entered the ranks of the non-homeschoolers, taking their places among the throng of new tennis shoes and backpacks. We are all weathering the change pretty well (after a first day of school weep-fest for mommy).


And all the "time" I was supposed to have, well I've managed to misplace that already. Things are hectic in a different way - we actually have to be places at prescribed times and can't perpetually put off certain assignments or subjects, but I think in general we are all able to handle life a little more calmly now that we are not around each other all the time. I need this at least for this year and the kids really seem to be adjusting well,enjoying themselves, and learning - and not just bad stuff like I had feared. So for now I am O.K.
And of course now I can knit during the day without feeling like a bad, inattentive teacher.
And I can be a Lady like the 2000 other knitters who've knit this February Lady Sweater.



I love this very much. The yarn(Cascade Superwash Paints) feels good, it fits well, its bright and cheery for the coming cooler, darker days. It's a great sweater, so I don't mind that every other knitter has one too - It's what I wanted to knit. And I'm at peace with my choice to send the kids to school too, knowing the decision was my own. The leaves will fly soon, but I know who I am.

2 comments:

Heather said...

And you and your children are beautiful. I need to get some reflective tape for my girl's pack-
the mornings at the bus stop will be pitch black in a few weeks. Maybe I should knit myself a reflective scarf!

Tammy said...

Your sweater looks great! I keep thinking about knitting it, but I'm just not sure I could pull it off.